Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Purani Jeans aur Guitar!

have always believed that happy memories are perhaps the strongest reason why a human being wakes fit and fine everyday. If not for them, the mind has to be willed with infinite power to do the basic things in life. I have had the luck to associate myself with some very happy memories in my life.With rivalry at its peak and fire spewing out of adolescent eyes, cricket matches between boys are nothing short of war. We had two teams in the colony we resided in and ofcourse there was no love lost between us. We never spoke to each other and played in different areas of the playground. Funny thing was not many of us knew why the animosity :) But like in politics, knowledge is not always required, just a heightened sense of alignment to one group. Typically lasting between 4.30 PM to 7.00 PM in the evening. Post that it was a marriage of convenience to acedemics. Typically October and November of an acedemic year affored the maximum laxity from our parents to indulge in sports. Great advantage was taken out of this leniency.A cricket match on Saturday! I was owefully out of form and my captain decided to drown me further down the batting order. To most swashbuckling colleagues of mine, I was an eyesore with staunch defensive cricket. Add to that my form and I was hoping to be lucky enough to carry water to the middle. But since it was a bet of 220 rupees, we had to find every boy who could shell out 20 rupees. That is how I got into the playing eleven. Money does talk! :)We were asked to bat first and I dont remember anything of our batting or mine. I believe we made a modest total, half of which were made two batsmen and then a lot by extras and then some by what we call "Tondi" :) (let us just say unscrupulous means). By devious means we managed to make them bowl about 22 overs in a 20 over game. Duly there was a fight, duly things pacified. At the break between innings, my captain looked at me disdainfully and wondered aloud where to have me field. That was embarrasing enough, he then remarked that I also dont run well after the ball. So after many "brain storming" sessions, I was sent off to field at third man where they thought the ball would come the least. For the first few overs, life was a bliss. I stood there often collecting harmless balls and rolling them back to the keeper.Virgin islands dont remain undiscovered forever, they soon found out the Jonty Rhodes of the side. I suddenly found an increased frenzy of balls coming my way. Twice I hurt my elbow, courtesy my clumsy fielding. The captain grew desperate and in a strange move, put me in slips!What is the worst he can do? He must have thought, drop a catch? The surface was so slow that the only catch a slipper could take was one when the keeper threw him the ball. Well, guess what?A batter poked at a ball and it came my way, I went to my right before realising it was going to my left. Like a blite gazelle I turned and grasped the speeding ball which was travelling at close to 20 kms an hour and flicked it back towards the stumps. Ofcourse I was looking somewhere else when I threw it. A few moments later, my astounded team mates rushed to me to congratulate me for my exceptional effort. The bloke was run out and I also found that my antics had hastened the end of my worn out shirt near my armpits. Ofcourse I never gave a high five the entire match with my right hand :)Miracoulously, I also took another catch a little later. This time, I was determined to protect my ugly face and got hit on the shoulder in return and the balls dobbled into my hands. Nothing else came my way, except standing there and irritating the keeper. He soon grew tired of me and stopped talking to me. I havent met him after that, so in many ways, those were his last words....... to me :))The same devious means employed by our "friendly" opposition meant that we were bowling the 23rd over in a 20 over chase. It all boiled down to the last 2 balls and they needed 3 to win. The batter skied one and I gasped as I saw that it was falling around me. The keeper looked at me once and decided that there was too much investment at stake to risk a rookie with this catch. I still remember vividly that he pushed me off the ball's trajectory and completed the catch. He claimed his heroisim. I was just glad that I got my 20 rupees back. The extra earnings were ofcourse to be contributed to the "development" of the game at our club. Development included small eats and some cold drinks.I still do remember very vividly the glorious sense of joy that engulfed the entire team. The boys rushing from all parts of the ground. Hugging each other and shouting as loudly as their vocal chords would allow them to. The smile was hard to remove from our faces. More joy came when we saw our "arch" enemy vanquished. We did shake hands later but it was hardly meant :)This remains a beautiful memory till this day. I will write in more when the time comes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing. This was enjoyable reading. Yes we all wake up with the happy memories of our past :-))