Sunday, December 15, 2013

How to write a farewell?

This is a far less perilous task when compared with other adventures undertaken by humanity. Nonetheless it is not something to be trifled with. In a few words and a generous couple of paragraphs the expectation from the reader is to find an image of their person in them. Often disappointed, but sometimes regaled, it is another case of saying that you cannot make everyone happy. A pen has ink, it colors the paper it is set on. How bright or dull the hue is, that lies in the eyes of the beholder much like beauty.

I am reaching a port in life where I am changing boats. The one I am leaving gave me the strength from fair winds and foul gusts. When the last timber drowned, the rope from this boat caught my sinking. I am deeply thankful for the sun filled skies I saw and the knowledge I gained to make an umbrella for rainy nights. I must leave now, for new shores beckon. I hope I am parting ways not in bitterness, but with a mutual feeling of gratitude between me and this boat.

My companions have been many and there in lies my last quest under its sails. How do I bade them farewell? They played their parts in no small amounts to strengthen my spirits and soul. A tough task today is better faced then a few years ago. Thanks goes to these companions who showed what face to make.

Is it enough to write a few lines or do I need to do more? Will those few lines convey my gratitude or will they fail to express the truth. I do not know. Perhaps it is best to be so. I will pen my words as best as I can mean them. Whether they find a way in to the hearts of the people I am addressing them to, will remain to be seen.

I see new sails and a new boat. The shine on it tempts me to new adventures and unknown shores. Will I be at home in that new boat as I became on this one? It is a hope that I carry with a prayer.

The old companions will gather on deck in my perfect memory. I will look into their eyes. I will not say a word. What the voice cannot do, I hope the eyes can say.

Thank you then and I wish you fair weather and strong winds to fill your sails!

As I suspected, even after all these lines, I am just as far away from an answer as I was before I wrote them.


1 comment:

Madhu Dutta said...

"Every day I shall put my papers in order and every day I shall say farewell. And the real farewell, when it comes, will only be a small outward confirmation of what has been accomplished within me from day to day"

I am impressed.....write on my friend. Never say farewell to that!